Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Land of Chachkis

As a child, I lived in wonder at the shear volumn of my mothers knick-knacks. They abode in every corner, on every flat surface and even adorned the floor. Boxes of seasonal things were put away making a lovely tradition of setting up well remembered porcelain salt and pepper shaker mushrooms, Santa Clause Bells, gnomes, mice, you name it. When I became an adult and started making my own home, trinkets were, to me, like badges of my grownupedness. My lack of them seemed like a lack in my home being where a family lives verses a bachlorette pad, a telltale showing of how much of child I must still be. A failed attempt at creating traditions for my family.

"Do not have anything in your home that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful"
--William Morris


Until I realized that I want to create meaningful traditions in my home. I do not want mindless clutter and endlessly dusty twaddle causing the dreadful cleaning dirge to rise up among the natives. I want only things that I absolutely LOVE, items that I cherish and gladly clean while holding their memory or blissful enchantment in my thoughts. I want to be able to tell each child why this one, this one right here, why it is so special.

So thank you for the gifts, we appreciate the thought! We will admire it for a time and then send it along its journey to find its true space with another family.

As we continue to simplify and add peaceful moments to our surroundings, I think many things will be getting the oneway ticket to GoodWill including toys, various brickabrack whose sole purpose lies in causing parental blood pressure to rise during times of intense childhood fun and any clothing that has been permanently plastered to the bottom of drawers; out of use.

Purge on my friends...purge on.

No comments:

Post a Comment